Power failures are the worst things and can be quite frustrating because people tend to lose their precious hours of work waiting for the network so that they can continue their work. In even worst cases, people lose their important data if the power goes off in the middle of the work and the work has not been saved. In the current scenario when everybody is working from home and kids take online classes, the need for continuous power has become even more important. You cannot afford to skip your kid’s exam just because the power went off. In the same manner, if you have a client’s meeting and there is no power at home, then this is not a desirable situation. So, it is important to buy a reliable inverter for home.
All inverters are not the same. So, before buying one you should do a research about all the available options in the market and also consider the below-mentioned factors before you pick up the best one.
Do You Need an Inverter? What Factors Should You Consider Before Buying One?
An inverter is a device that is used to generate power which is used during times of power failure. It converts low voltage DC into household AC. If your locality experiences prolonged and frequent power cuts, then you need an inverter. Given below are some factors that you should be mindful of before you choose an inverter-
- Power Requirements of Your Home, Workspace, or Hotel Wherever You Need an Inverter
In case of power failure, the amount of electricity that you need to run the appliances is your actual power requirement. You can calculate this by adding the watts of the appliances that will run on power in case there is no electricity.
- Pick Up the Best Battery
A battery is the backbone of any inverter. It determined the quality and performance of the inverter. Choose a branded battery that has a longer warranty period.
- VA Rating of the Inverter
To find the VA rating, you should divide the total load (power consumed by your equipment) by the power factor. The unit to measure the VA rating is Ampere.
Inverter for Expeditions
You just don’t need an inverter for home but for purposes also, especially if you are a travel freak person. If you are someone who likes to go camping, boating, trekking, etc, you need to have a power back up after the sun goes down. These are known as inverters for expeditions. You need to select the right one that is cost-effective, compact, and useful. Such portable inverters use the direct current to run the light. To run this inverter, you simply need to plug in your device and you are good to go. If you are going on a long trip, you need to buy an inverter battery also. You can even charge these batteries using solar panels and use them during dark hours.
Guide for Choosing The Best Inverter for Your Home, Workspace
- Budget Requirements- The cost of the inverter varies as per the brands and the capacity.
- Durability- A solar inverter is a long-term investment. It is important to check and compare them for durability and performance. Some inverters are good for high temperatures and some are suited for rough atmospheric conditions.
- Choose the Brand- it is always advised to go for a good and reputable brand. These brands offer long-term warranties and offer reliable products.
- Estimate your Requirement- you must correctly estimate your energy requirement before you buy a solar inverter. It is also advisable to go for an inverter of higher capacity than your estimated requirements because there can be some energy loss in the system as well.
- Efficiency- it is calculated as the ratio of output power to input power. You cannot ignore the efficiency of the inverter while choosing one. Also, all the inverters are not suited for household applications so you need to research well before buying one.
Types of Inverters
There are 3 main types of inverters-
- On-Grid Inverter- It converts DC to AC and sends any surplus energy to the grid.
- Off-Grid Inverter- it also converts DC to AC from a battery. This inverter is used to power commercial and residential projects.
- Hybrid Inverter- as the name suggests, this inverter can convert both an on-grid system as well as an off-grid PV system.
Since buying an inverter for home or for office is a long-term decision so it is important for you to do some research and gather information about the product so that you don’t end up making a bad deal. Also, if you plan to put up solar panels, make sure that you know the best direction and angle for the solar panel. The angle and direction of the panels ensure that the PV cells are producing the maximum amount of energy at the time when the sun is up and is shining brightly in the sky.
Explore More Articles: Buying Guide for the best budget in electronics and other Home Improvement Products