The holidays are the most difficult time of the year for people to find how to manage stress and to stay on a healthy eating regime. These two things go hand in hand really – as during this time of year there is much over-eating and many sugary foods consumed which contributes to body stress. The reason for this is that sugar robs the body of its vitamins and minerals. Most people do not consider nutrition at this time of year as they normally would because there is so much food prepared by others that is irresistible. Managing wintertime holiday season stress
Usually, there are Christmas holiday gatherings and celebrations with lots of sweets, like cookies, cakes, pies, eggnog, sweet coffee drinks and other sweet drinks and desserts that only come around once a year as tradition has it.
This is also a time when many feel they deserve to eat as they want because it is a festive time with family and friends.
How to manage the holiday stress:
– Think about eating sweet treats a few times a week instead of everyday.
– Eating sweets or sugary foods makes you want to have more of it. Consuming more sugar leads to a wider crave. Sugar addiction is a real and very problematic issue (This includes high fructose corn syrup). Sugar depresses the immune system. The more sugar you eat, the more AGEs you develop – causing skin damage. That is the reason why you need to find healthy alternatives.
– Cut back the sugar in all recipes. Instead of a cup of sugar add only ¾ of a cup. You will enjoy the taste much more. In fact, you will actually taste what you are eating if it has less sugar in it.
– Take B vitamin complex to calm nerves.
– Always eat fresh fruits and vegetables for the enzymes that your body requires. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables also works to bring the body back to an alkaline position (healthy position) rather than an acid position (disease position).
– Think about eating and drinking in smaller portions.
– Remember to drink lots of water to wash all those sweets through and through. Sugar addiction is a real and very problematic issue (This includes high fructose corn syrup). Sugar depresses the immune system. The more sugar you eat, the more AGEs you develop – causing skin damage. That is the reason why you need to find healthy alternatives.
– A little sauce, butter or gravy can go a long way – stretch it.
– Wear clothing that is snug and you’ll likely eat less – Hold that tummy in – and you will feel better for it.
– Serve yourself in smaller portions, and eat slower.
– Can you eat without a second helping? Save calories and you will not feel stuffed.
– If you are preparing dinner and have tons of food – send some food home with your guests, or;
– Deliver a plate of food to an elderly neighbor or to someone who might need it or appreciate it. It Is better to give than to receive.
– Ask your relatives or friends to bring friends so there are not a lot of leftovers. And, the more the merrier!
– Draw names and exchange gifts with just one other adult or exchange gifts family to family instead of buying for everyone. Keep a limit or range on the dollar amount you will spend. Keep the name you drew a secret!
– Write a story – as a secret exchange – write a serious or funny story about another instead of exchanging gifts – and read it aloud on Christmas. This will greatly boost someone’s self-esteem!
– Buy gifts for the children only – Adults – just appreciate each other’s company.
– Go online to invite your friend and colleague using Christmas flyers, online Christmas invitation cards, etc.
– Make a gift instead of buying it. Avoid the malls, traffic, stress, etc.
– Do not over do it by cramming your day with a TO DO LIST!
– Get out and do some exercise and be with yourself for a while. Climb a mountain, swim the ocean, walk around the block and stop to look at the moon and stars. Live your life a little!
– Sleep properly and adequately – Sleep deprivation causes stress on the body – The best hour of sleep is between 11 P.M. and midnight.
– Other great ways to relieve stress – take a breather and meditate for 10 minutes while lying down – or just take a cat nap for 10 minutes. Remember to Breath. Set your timer.
– If you feel so inclined, Pray, for forgiveness, for others, for yourself and your family.
Express Love & Gratitude every day – for who and what you have in your life. You and they are special and unique. The people in your life are there for a reason – for your growth or their growth.
And allow yourself to have fun with family and friends!! Laugh a lot! Order and share healthy desserts that are baked with organic ingredients from Bakingo – cake bakery in Bangalore with your family and friends!