If you are a truck driver who drives around heavy vehicles often, you must be aware of the risks you agree to work with. For example, as a truck driver, being accident-prone is an occupational hazard that you have to work with. Even though you are experienced and work within the rules, you never know when a truck accident may befall you. In such a situation, we often do not know how to act. There are some actions that you need to take immediately after the accident and some that you have to take after some time. Since an accident shakes you up to the core, you might not be able to make a sound decision this early. However, this is an article that will remind you of the most important actions to take, right after a truck accident. Whether it is about seeking immediate medical attention or hiring a trucking accident attorney, there are a lot of things to do.
Here are the things that you should do when you are involved in a truck accident.
● Call police– The accident scene is a very volatile one where you would need extra help in handling the situation. There might be a person who is injured and needs help. Even if there are no apparent casualties, you should call the police for official registration of the case. On the other hand, some injuries and damages are only apparent after a third party enters the scene, and the police can play that role here. If you do not call the police, there will be complications later when you approach a legal court. As a citizen, it is your duty to call the police when you are a witness or a party to the accident.
● Seek immediate medical attention– It is very important to seek immediate medical help to the accident scene. This is because an accident, especially a truck accident, results in casualties and fatalities. The casualties need to be reviewed and treated by a medical team as soon as possible. Therefore, you need to call a medical or ER team to the scene. Whether it is your own injury or someone else’s timely intervention of medical professionals can save someone’s life. Call a medical team even if you think you have minor injuries. This is because the accident sometimes results in shock and internal injuries. Only a medical professional will be able to help you out properly.
● Take pictures– When you are at the accident scene, take pictures as soon as you can. The pictures are very important because you can show the damage that has happened to your vehicle to someone. The pictures of the accident scene and even your injuries help you record the evidence of the accident and show it as proof to your insurance company or any legal professional. Even a trucking accident attorney will tell you to take pictures of the scene and damage if you are in full consciousness.
These are the immediate actions to take when you are a part of a truck accident. Remember that if you are in partial or full consciousness, you need to do these as far as you can. However, there are some actions that you can take after a few days of the accident. Still, it is better to take these actions as soon as you are conscious and able to make a decision.
● Contact your insurance company– As a vehicle driver, you must have vehicle insurance and life insurance cover. Since an accident is a primary liability of a vehicle, you should call your insurance provider to inform them about the accident. After this, you need to file a claim according to the damages that happened in the accident. Based on your injuries and treatment, you can also claim health insurance if you have one. The insurance covers will help you pay for your treatment bills and repair bills easily. It is important to take insurance policy covers and also claim them at the right time. The insurance company will note the damages and pay you accordingly. You need to take pictures to submit as proof with the insurance claim.
● Contact a good truck accident lawyer- The trucking accident attorney will help you the most after a truck accident. The lawyer helps you in seeking the right legal path. It is very important to seek legal counsel from the right source. An experienced and specialist trucking accident attorney will be able to help you in this matter. The attorney will help you with the paperwork and the legal proceedings that go into claiming compensation. Always choose an attorney who has a good track record of working with truck accident victims. These are the few things that you should do after a truck accident to ensure that the incident is properly addressed and the right kind of help reaches you and other parties. Always arrange for medical, financial, and legal help after an accident.