The function of the kidneys is to filter blood and remove waste products from it. To achieve this, a complex process of filtration and reabsorption takes place. The kidneys also regulate how much fluid is put back into the body and how much salt is in the body. This article will help you understand kidney function and what kidney test is done to check kidney function.
What is Kidney Function?
Approximately the size of a fist, the kidneys are two bean-shaped organs. They are located in the center of your back, next to your ribs, on both sides. Kidneys filter your blood and remove wastes and extra fluid from your body.
Wastes and extra fluid are removed through your urine, which flows from your kidneys to your bladder through tubes called ureters. Your urine is then stored in your bladder. Kidney function can be affected by several conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and infection. That’s why it’s essential to get checked for these conditions regularly.
Several tests can be done to check kidney function. A simple blood test can show whether your kidneys are filtering waste properly. A urine test can show protein or sugar in your urine, which can signify kidney damage.
An ultrasound or CT scan can create images of your kidneys to check for abnormalities. And a biopsy may be done if there is reason to believe you have kidney disease. Kidney test cost ranges somewhere around $39 – $50.
If your kidneys are not working properly, waste can build up in your blood and make you feel sick. You may have problems with your blood pressure or anemia. Kidney disease can also lead to kidney failure, requiring dialysis or a kidney transplant.
If you have symptoms of kidney disease, talk to your doctor about getting tested. Early kidney tests, diagnoses, and treatments can help slow the progression of kidney disease and improve your overall health.
Top 5 types of test to check kidney function
There are a few different types of tests that can be done to check kidney function. Here are the top 5:
1. Urine test – This test can help detect if there is protein or blood in the urine, which can indicate kidney damage.
2. Blood test – A blood test can help to measure levels of creatinine and urea in the blood, which can give an indication of how well the kidneys are functioning.
3. Imaging tests – Tests such as an ultrasound or CT scan can help assess the kidneys’ size and shape and look for any abnormalities.
4. Renal biopsy – It involves taking a small sample of kidney tissue for examination under a microscope, which can provide information on the extent of any kidney damage.
5. Kidney function test – This test measures how well the kidneys can filter waste products from the blood and excrete them in urine. It is usually carried out using a specialized machine called a dialysis machine.
There are a few different tests that can be done to check kidney function. A urine test can show whether the kidneys are filtering out waste properly. A blood test can measure levels of creatinine and urea, which are waste products that the kidneys should remove from the blood. A renal ultrasound may also be performed, which uses sound waves to create an image of the kidneys.
Also Read – An Airfood Recipe: A unique way of cooking